Pages

 BabyFruit Ticker

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Respecting the mystery

Yesterday, we spent the whole day at a hospital, keeping vigil by a relative in her last hours on earth.  I could not help but feel a sense of holiness in the moment.  Death is such a mystery.  A secret known only by God.

Yet even as I contemplated the departure of this relative, I also reflected on the formation of new life in my belly.  Conception, too, is a mystery and a secret known only by God.  How a human is knit together in the unseen places is hard to fathom. 

We have yet to tell our extended family that we are expecting.  Part of me wishes they could have known yesterday so that in the midst of grief, there could still be a glimmer of hope.  They will know soon enough.  My sister-in-law called it "Lion King" ish - the cyclical nature of the circle of life.  But isn't that true though?  And isn't that the good news of Jesus?  That in the midst of death, there is new life waiting to be born.

No comments:

Post a Comment