Pages

 BabyFruit Ticker

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Changed for good

Since making it public, our inboxes and T's facebook page have been buzzing with activity.  The #1 response has been "Congratulations!"

I commented to a friend the other day that it felt a little puzzling to me to be congratulated for getting pregnant.  It felt somewhat akin to being congratulated for winning the lottery.  After all, I didn't actually make the baby's life begin - I only helped provide a suitable environment for it to happen.  And I don't have any control over how well the baby grows either.  My friend responded by saying that I welcomed this new life, and that was worth congratulating me for.

I've been reflecting a bit on the irreversibility of it all.  I had prayed for this pregnancy, but now that it has happened, I sometimes feel alarmed about what I've really asked for!  It's unlike any other decision I've made in life because carrying this baby has meant that I have had to change already and there's no undoing it.  And this new person will impact me more than I can ever guess.   It's sobering to realize that my life is forever changed by the answering of this one prayer.

Last weekend T and I watched the musical, "Wicked," and this one song has been with us all week.  It's called "For Good" and it speaks to many different relationships in our lives.  But as I think about the lyrics, there are certainly parts that express how I feel about this lemon-sized little life within me.  I hope you enjoy the song as much as we do:

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Congratulations! I must say it again. :) So exciting. I think mostly people are congratulating you because they recognize that this is a precious gift that have been given and will spend your life unwrapping.
    love to you all!

    Karen L

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's so true as what Karen mentioned that this gift will spend your whole life unwrapping. i'm still doing it! unwrapping gift always gives you a lot of fun and joy. you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete